The 20th of September 2011 edition of the Maltese Herald
|Email item||Print item||
This weeks September 20th 2011 edition of The Maltese Herald Gozo section is now available for download by clicking here
Previous editions are also available by clicking on this link.
The stories covered in this weeks issue are:
1. Earlier this month an award ceremony was held in the grounds of the Gozo General Hospital, during which Lawrence Mizzi was declared Worker of the Year 2010. Giovanna Debono, Minister for Gozo, presented a trophy to Mr Mizzi, who is head of the Radiology Department. The trophy was designed and executed in glass by mosaic artist Mary Portelli and represents the caring aspect of a hospital employee.
During the same event, the result of the Logo Competition was announced. The design submitted by Mary Portelli was declared winner from among the twelve submissions. It shows a blue Greek cross next to SGG and the words “Sptar Generali t’Ghawdex” written underneath. The logo is intended to give instant visual identification to the hospital.
2. On September 10, Bishop Mario Grech announced the name of the new Diocesan President for the Catholic Action Movement in Gozo: Antoine Vassallo, who chaired his first Directorate session on Thursday 15th. Mr Vassallo (who is at the end of a long career in education) has been involved for numerous years in the organization, St George’s parish and the diocese. Moreover he is founder-President of the Gozo NGOs Association and Chair of Fondazzjoni Belt Victoria; in fact – in view of his wide experience – he has often been chosen to represent the voluntary sector.
Mgr Grech presented Mr Vassallo at the end of a Concelebration at the Catholic Action Headquarters in memory of Manuel Saliba who died suddenly, leaving the post vacant after almost thirty years.
3. The statue sculptured in wood of the Virgin Mary of the Holy Rosary conserved at the Xaghra parish church is undergoing a conservation and restoration programme. The programme is led by the established restorer Manwel Zammit of Malta. The statue, the work of the Maltese sculptor Alexander Farrugia of Zejtun, goes back to 1848. It was commissioned by the Xaghra parish for processional functions all year round during festivities dedicated to the Virgin Mary under several titles. It used to be carried also shoulder high during the titular festa of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary on 8th September until the arrival of the current Marseille statue in 1878.
No interventions had ever been made to the statue during the past 163 years. It still enjoys the original polychromatic hues and colours as applied by the sculptor himself. The programme of restoration consists mainly of cleaning the many layers of sooth which accumulated along the years, conserving the original colours and closing the cracks which developed between the stripes of wood which makes up the statue.
Photo: Lawrence Mizzi of Victoria was declared Worker of the Year 2010.