Please Note: Gozonews.Com is now simply Gozo.News - Kindly update your bookmarks and links - Existing Gozonews.Com links should continue to function correctly

Zewwieqa Waterfront regeneration project well underway

Email item Email item Print item Print item

Zewwieqa Waterfront regeneration project well underwayThe Zewwieqa Waterfront regeneration project has been estimated will cost at completion, around €5 million, excluding VAT, with 85 per cent of the necessary funds provided through the EU’s European Regional Development Fund, (ERDF) under the Operational Programme 1, from 2007-2013 with the remaining 15% from national funds.

The Ministry for Gozo said today that the main idea of this project is linked to the objectives of the Ministry which include seeking continuous improvements in the Gozitan tourism product by enhancing existing facilities and increasing tourist attractions offered on the island.

The waterfront project aims to create this as an additional tourism zone in Gozo by turning it into a hub of entertainment activities.

The Minister for Gozo, Giovanna Debono this morning visited the site to inspect the ongoing works including paving of the plaza and surroundings area near the shore road, construction of rubble walls throughout the project area as well as continuing the work in hand, which included sanitary facilities and a parking area with a capacity for approximately 70 vehicles.

This extensive project covers approximately 18,000 square metres of land along the stretch of about 700 metres of the coast. Architects and other officials working on the project explained to the Minister how the work carried out so far, included excavation of a large area, construction of parking and toilet facilities as well as a storage buffer for rainwater, The project also includes the creating of pedestrian zones, landscaped plazas with seating areas and open sea views, an area hosting the restored Dghajsa tal-Latini and an informal stage structure.

In the square there will be a number of restaurants and drinking establishments as well as workshops for the use of fishermen that operate from the harbour.

The Minister said that the remaining work to be carried out includes the completion of the works on the parking area and sanitary facilities, the paving and construction of rubble walls along pedestrian area, the installation of lighting systems and other street furniture that will embellish the work of extensive refurbishment and regeneration involved in this project.

  • Permalink: Zewwieqa Waterfront regeneration project well underway
  • You may also like...

    1 Response

    1. Clark says:

      When is the project due to be completed?

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *