Façade restoration of Ministry for Gozo building by Wirt Ghawdex
Email item
| Print item
|
|
Wirt Gawdex has restored the façade of the building, which is the home of the Ministry for Gozo and various Government offices.
Wirt Ghawdex have been undertaken the restoration of the stonework, woodwork and metal on he building, which was previously the old Victoria Hospital
Wirt Ghawdex was entrusted with the restoration works of this landmark in a joint venture with the Ministry for Gozo.
In 1718, the Chaplain of Obedience of the Order of Saint John, Fra Gregorio Camilleri and his brother Canon Giovanni Maria Camilleri of the Collegiate Chapter of Gozo decided to provide the property on which a much-needed hospital in Gozo could be built. The deed was signed on June 16, 1719.
Construction of this edifice finally started in 1726, under the reign of Grand Master Vilhena, and was completed three years later. It was officially named after Saint John the Baptist and Saint Anthony of Padua.
Over the years the hospital proved to be too small for the needs of the population and various additions and modifications were carried out.
By the time the hospital was transferred to the newly built 'Craig' Hospital in 1975, the old hospital was in a position to deal with over 800 patients a year.
This restoration project is part of the general rehabilitation of St. Francis Square, which will include the repositioning of all electrical wiring, security systems and the installation of new lighting etc.
Photograph: MGOZ/George Scerri


























